Kumon Centres are independently owned and operated. Additional fees may apply.
© Kumon Canada, Inc. All rights reserved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our instructors explain
What's the difference?
Kumon vs. Tutoring
April 20, 2020
My twin sons started less than a year ago, and I’ve seen huge changes in them! This is the place if you want to give your children a head start!
April 15, 2020
One of the best investments you can make in your child to keep them ahead of the curve!
February 11, 2020
My son started at 4, and now he is 5 and doing math and reading at a third-grade level. The outcome was incredible.
January 3, 2020
Not only did her grades improve, but she became very comfortable doing her math, whether for KUMON or school. She went from a low B (almost a C) to an A+. I am extremely pleased with the program offered by Kumon.
December 12, 2019
The worksheets and teaching methods keep my child engaged and challenge her appropriately. Normally, my daughter's report card was filled with I's (needs improvement). Now there are a few O's (outstanding), which is the highest mark possible.
November 3, 2019
My daughter came to Kumon with unique challenges and attention span issues. I have seen immense gains in my daughter's reading comprehension and fluidity. One unexpected benefit was the overall improvement of my daughter's study skills. I'm now a proud mother of an honor roll student.
What parents say about Kumon.
Kumon is an ongoing learning enrichment program,
not a tutoring centre
- Parents often choose tutoring in the hopes of quickly eliminating a child’s struggles. But a short-term fix doesn’t address the fundamental gaps in learning.
- The Kumon Method ensures children master every building block of math or reading through a proven method of short, daily assignments known as the Kumon Worksheets.
- The worksheets take approximately 30 minutes per day, two days a week at the Kumon Centre and the other days at home. Each worksheet ensures a concept is mastered before moving on to the next incrementally more challenging worksheet.
- It may take longer to see results, but this little bit of study every day and ongoing mastery is how Kumon students succeed.
Kumon identifies the root of your
child’s struggles and
- Tutoring often focuses on the immediate need, such as “help with fractions.”
- The Kumon Program recognizes that a child’s struggle likely stems from having missed earlier, fundamental learning.
- This may mean taking your child back at first, to ensure this important learning is mastered, before moving forward.
In Kumon, your child will complete a
placement test to measure mastery
- While a tutor may start a fifth grader on fifth-grade material, Kumon may start them at a different level.
- It’s critical that any gaps in learning be filled first, so your child can better master more advanced concepts.
Kumon teaches self-learning
- A traditional tutor often sits with a child and explains how to solve a problem.
- Listening to an explanation is no guarantee that the concept has been fully grasped. This is why struggles often resurface.
- Self-learning in Kumon keeps your child actively engaged. They learn by studying examples and then are able to do the work on their own.
Kumon keeps your child advancing
beyond their grade level
- Tutoring is often a short-term fix that helps children with material they’re being taught in their current grade.
- The Kumon Math and Reading Program keeps children advancing and never limits their learning. Many Kumon students who start a bit behind not only catch up but advance to studying material ahead of their grade level.
- You’ll find your child completing homework, tests and exams more quickly, correctly and with less stress.
When your child is struggling in school, a tutor may seem like the logical choice. Understanding how Kumon is different from traditional tutoring is important in determining what is best for your child.
Why are so many
Straight-A Students Enrolled in Kumon?
Sixth graders studying calculus or eighth graders reading Shakespeare. In Kumon, that’s not unusual, because Kumon is a learning enrichment program that never limits a child’s advancement. To understand why Kumon is such a valuable addition to the way your children learn in school, we encourage you to attend a free Parent Orientation at a Kumon Centre near you. In the meantime, here are just a few highlights:
Kumon teaches children to learn independently.
- In traditional teaching, your children are often passive learners. That means they listen to someone else explain how to solve a problem, instead of acquiring the ability to figure it out for themselves.
- Kumon teaches self-learning. Your children learn by studying examples that help them see—and grasp—how to master each concept on their own. Rather than relying on the teacher’s knowledge, they learn to rely on themselves.
- This ability to learn independently is a valuable life skill. It can help them achieve success in school and throughout every stage of their lives.
The Kumon Worksheets ensure your children master every building block of learning.
- In school, a teacher may move on to a new lesson, but not all children may have fully absorbed and mastered the previous one. Even the best students sometimes miss bits and pieces of fundamental learning. This missed learning adds up and can lead to difficulties later on.
- In Kumon, children complete short, daily assignments known as Kumon Worksheets. Each is designed to ensure your child fully masters a concept before moving on to the next, incrementally more challenging, worksheet. This is how Kumon eliminates the learning gaps that often lead to struggles in school.
- For over 60 years, this proven Kumon Worksheet method has helped Kumon children advance and reach their full potential.
Kumon doesn’t limit your child’s advancement.
- In school, children traditionally learn at one speed—the pace of the class. So if your children master a concept more quickly than their peers, they have to wait until the class moves ahead to the next lesson. In Kumon, your children continually advance at their own pace, often beyond the material allowed for their grade in school. That’s why even young students can progress to high school calculus, Shakespeare and other advanced material with Kumon.
- If your child moves ahead in Kumon, will he or she be bored in school? Our parents and students report the opposite. Students who walk into school with a firm grasp of the fundamentals become much more engaged and self-confident in class. Each night’s homework also becomes less daunting and time-consuming, making evenings more enjoyable for everyone.
Kumon fits any busy schedule. It takes just 30 minutes per subject per day.
- Even if your children attend extracurricular activities like sports or music, they’ll have time for Kumon. Two days a week, they’ll complete their Kumon Worksheets at their Kumon Centre, with the Instructor there to guide them and monitor their progress. The other days, the Kumon Worksheets are done at home.
- As your children advance in the Kumon Program, they’ll likely find themselves completing class homework assignments more quickly and feeling more prepared for tests. This can actually leave them with more free time than their friends.
What To Expect with TheKumon Math and Reading Program
Enroll your child in the
Kumon Math and Reading Program today!
missing a step
Your child will advance through math and reading concepts incrementally, building on each previous day’s work. This allows your child to master each concept at their own pace, ensuring nothing in their math and reading education is missed. Their Kumon experience will support their school work, giving them better preparation for homework completion and tests.
Improve concentration and focus
As your child progresses, you’ll see them developing skills beyond math and reading, giving you the confidence that they are prepared to succeed in life. Kumon parents tell us they see their childs’ focus and attention span increase—two essential skills for getting the most out of class time and for completing homework and tests.
Gain mental math skills
Your childs’ mental math skills will become efficient, allowing them to get through homework and tests more quickly. No matter their starting point, they will be able to work their way through each level in the Math Program, eventually mastering even calculus!
Many parents are most excited about their childs’ off-the-charts confidence. They tell us they even notice it positively affecting other activities, such as sports and music. This confidence can propel them to greater success in all areas of life.
Deepen critical comprehension skills
Your child will add to their reading and writing skills by increasing vocabulary, improving spelling and truly understanding grammar. Their comprehension skills will improve, carrying over to all classes where accurately understanding directions and content is crucial.
Parents can’t believe how Kumon has imparted a greater drive to persevere. That determination is a skill that isn’t easily taught but develops naturally as children progress in Kumon. Our Kumon parents describe it as “grit” and understand that it develops over time.
Whether your child is a preschooler or already well into their school years, the Kumon Math and Reading Program ensures they receive the best foundation in math and reading along with essential skills for success.
Kumon Can Help Advance Your Child's LearningWhile School Is Disrupted
While the in-centre experience of Kumon is important, many parents are choosing to enroll their children in Kumon now in order to supplement home learning activities provided by school.
As teachers and children are adapting to remote learning, Kumon’s assignments give your child a sense of continued structure and order.
Kumon is ideal for home-based learning as it’s designed for children to work independently. The worksheets provide examples to guide them in completing each lesson.
The daily assignments create a block of solid learning time and ensure your child keeps advancing.
Whether by telephone, video or email, your Instructor will partner with you to determine how best to guide your child in their lessons.
Keeping your child's education on track during these difficult times is a challenge every parent is suddenly facing. While your local Kumon Centre may not be holding in-centre sessions, the Kumon Program has always included a significant home-based aspect that can be implemented remotely. Starting now is an ideal way to ensure your child keeps advancing their learning while at home.
Kumon Can Help Advance
Your Child's LearningWhile School
Keeping your child's education on track during these difficult times is a challenge every parent is suddenly facing. While your local Kumon Centre may not be holding in-centre sessions, the Kumon Program has always included a significant home-based aspect that can be implemented remotely. Starting now is an ideal way to ensure your children keep advancing their learning while at home.